Common Sage, Dalmatian Sage, Garden Sage, Herbe Sacré, Meadow Sage, Salvialavandulaefolia, Salviaofficinalis, Sauge, Sauge Ananas, Feuille de la Bergère, Sauge Divinatoire, Sauge Domestique, Sauge Officinale, Scarlet Sage, Spanish Sage, Sauge Divine, True Sage, Vraie Sauge.
What is sage?
Common sage is a small perennial bushy plant with woody trunk, greyish leaves and blue to pink flowers. It originates from the Mediterranean region. The flavour is herbaceous,astringent with hints of peppermint andsavoury.
Culinary uses of dried sage:
Dried sage health benefits:
- It is a great match for fatty and rich meats, for example, sausages, pork or goose.
- Dried sage leaves are used in salads and cooked in yeast bread, omelettes, soups, fritters, marinades and meat pies.
- The Italians use the sage in meat dishes and driedbean dishes, especially with veal and calves' liver.
- Minced leaves are often usedin the breading for fried meat, especially chicken.
- Sage is aningredientin savoury scones, dumplings and bread stuffing.
- Dried sage runs well with bean, pea, butter beans and vegetable soups.
- Dried sage plays and important role in dental routine. It can be used as a powerful mouthwash to treat gum illness, cancers or infections of the throat.
- Dried sage helps in removing the old skin and keeping healthy.
- Helps in diabetic diseases.
- Beneficial in enhancing processing
- Sage helps in development and growth of bones.
- Eliminate intellectual disorders, including dementia and Alzheimer's.
- Sage has been used to battle baldness and hair loss.
- Dried leaf can reduce sweating by as much as half.
Methods of farming/ producing product:
- A medieval proverb sometimes attributed to Martin Luther states that Why should a man die who has sage growing in his garden?(Cur moriatur homo cui Salvia crescit in horto?)
Sage is a strong,perennial herbthat develops to around 90 cm in height with tall with green wiry, green stems. Sage contains 1-2.5% essential oil with major components of thujone (about 50%), cineole - 15%, other terpenes (borneol, camphor, pinene) - 15% and 15% sesquiterpenes. The list further contains bitter lactone carnosol,about 8% catechin tannins, flavonoids (derivative of luteolin and apigenin), β-sitosterol, vitamins (B1, C), carotene, fumaric acid and nicotinic acid.