Ail Civette, Allium schoenoprasum, Allium sibiricum, Ail Tubéreux, Brelette, Cebolla China, Cebolla de Verdeo, Cebolleta, Cebollín, Cebollino, Chives, Ciboulette, Civette, Chinese Chive, FausseÉchalote, OignonSauvage.
What is chive?
Chive is a type of onion native to Europe and Asia. It is abulbous herbaceous perennial plant, reaching 30-50 cm in height. Chives are grown for their leaves, which are used as a vegetable or condiment. They have a mild flavour of onion, green onion or garlic.
Culinary uses of dried flakes:
Dried chive flakes health benefits:
- Chives combine well with fish dishes. Marinate before cooking or flavouring fish with a sprinkling of chives flakes.
- Used in cream cheese or butter.
- Chive flakes are usedontoast, bagels, toast, cracker and another sort ofbread.
- Goes well with green salads.
- The dried flakes can be added to ice cube as well.
- Sprinkled dried chives on anomelette or scrambled eggs.
- Dried chives are used as a part of cocktail sauces, dried soups, sour cream or cottage cheese.
- Aid digestion and help lower blood pressure.
- Driedchivereduces the levels of bad cholesterol in the body and improves heart wellbeing.
- Stimulates the creation of white blood cells and production of collagen.
- Reduces risk of heart attack and prevents atherosclerosis.
- Aids in keeping up mineral density in bones.
- Aids in keeping up great health during the pregnancy.
Methods of farming/ producing product:
- In the past, chives were used for fortune telling. Romanian gipsies were specialised for this kind of divination.
The bulbs are drained conical, 2-3 cm long and 1 cm wide, and grow densely in clusters of roots. The leaves are hollow tubular, long up to 50 cm, 2-3 mm in diameter, with a soft structure. Mauve flowers are star-shaped with six petals, 1-2 cm wide and grow in dense clusters from 10-30 together. The seeds are formed in a small pouch with three partitions and ripen in the summer. Chives grow in well-drained soil rich in organic matter with a pH 6,0-7,0 and plenty of sunshine. Can grow in light shade, but it is best to have 6-8 hours of direct sunlight.