Peper, Pimenta, Pimento, Turkish Yenibahar, pimiento Jamaica Pepper, Bay Rum Berry, kurundu, Pimento Berries myrtle pepper, Pimentadioica, pimento, newspice, clove pepper, pimento, toute-épice, kabab cheene, jamikapfefer,seetful, pimiento de Jamaic,
What is allspice?
Allspice is the dried fruit of the Pimentadioica plant. Despite the fact that its name proposes a blend of spices, allspice is one single berry from this evergreen shrub. The allspice tree likes to grow in warm climates, and although native to Jamaica the allspice tree can now be found in parts of Mexico &Central America.
Culinary uses of whole allspice:
Whole Allspice berries health benefits:
- It is an especially well-known in European cuisine, a critical fixing in many marinades, mulling and pickling spices.
- Allspice berries can be added for preparation of Scandinavian pickled herring, Sauerkraut, pickles, English spiced beef and any kind of dishes and soups.
- It is likewise used as flavouring in alcohols such as liquors Benedictine and Chartreuse.
- Used along with bay leaves, white peppercorns & cloves, allspice berries can be added to a vinegar solution for when poaching fish.
- Allspice is a main ingredient in Jamaican jerk blends.
- Whole allspice berriesgoes well with beans,carrots, cabbage,parsnipslentils, peas, turnips or squash.
- With blending equal measures of entire allspice berries with whole black or blended peppercorns in a food processor, you can make your own unique spice mix.
- Allspice berries are used as a laxative carminative, to avoid flatulence.
- Whole allspice berries can be used as both a fragrant stimulant and as a tonic for the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system and they arealso known to enhance the appetite.
- The basic oil in Allspice berries is a tonic for the nervous system and has been used to treathysterical paroxysms, nervous exhaustion, convulsions and neuralgia.
- Allspice berries enhance circulation and haveantioxidant and antiseptic properties.
- Allspice oil blended with extractions from oregano and garlic can treatE.coli, Salmonella and L.monocytogenes diseases.
- The potassium found in allspice berries controls blood pressure and heart rate.
Methods of farming/ producing product:
- The additive properties of allspice were valued by early seafarers for keeping both fish and meat edible on long trips.
The natural products are small berries, 7-8 mm in diameter. Inside they contain up to 3 seeds 4 mm in diameter. The allspice berries develop in well drained and calcareous soils. Allspice berries are harvested between July and September, around 3–4 months after flowering. As they are dried in the Sun the berries change to a beautiful purple brown colour resembling peppercorns.